Ready to make your own beeswax wraps?
Cotton beeswax wraps are a sustainable and reusable food storage option. Use as a natural alternative to plastic for wrapping fruits, veggies, cheese, sandwiches, and snacks.
You will need:
– DIY Beeswax Wrap Kit (includes pure Hoʻōla beeswax pre-blended with organic jojoba oil and pine tree resin)
– 100% cotton fabric, cut to desired size
– old cookie sheet* or foil-lined tray
– cheese grater*
– makeshift clothesline
*Beeswax is difficult to clean, so don't use your best kitchenware! Use items that will be dedicated exclusively for beeswax projects from here on after.
1. Preheat oven to 185ºF. Trust us, any higher will burn the wax!
2. Place pre-cut fabric on cookie sheet.
3. Sprinkle grated beeswax blend lightly and evenly over fabric. A little goes a long way but feel free to experiment to find the thickness you prefer.
4. Place in preheated oven & monitor closely! Beeswax is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, so don't forget its in there and walk away. It should take less than 5 minutes to melt completely.
5. As soon as beeswax is melted, remove from heat and spread wax evenly over fabric with paintbrush. Don't worry if the wax starts to harden before you are done, just pop it back in the oven to re-heat and try again.
6. Hang on makeshift clothesline to dry. Your new wraps will cool down quickly and are now ready to use!
– If there is excess wax left on the cookie sheet, place another piece of fabric on the tray to absorb the extra wax.
– You don't need a lot of wax to coat each fabric piece. We are able to cover up to 250 square inches of fabric with a 0.5oz block of our beeswax blend, but this may vary depending on the type of fabric used and thickness of wax coating.
– Feel free to contact us with any questions or feedback!
Your wrap will last up to a year or longer by following these simple care instructions.
HOW TO USE : Place or fold over a jar or bowl, or wrap around food item. Use the warmth of your hands to mold wrap into place. It will stick to itself & most surfaces. Not recommended for use with raw meat.
HOW TO CARE FOR: Wash with cool water & mild soap if necessary. Hang to dry, fold and store in a cool, dry place. Please keep away from all heat sources.
100% BIODEGRADABLE: At the end of your wrap's use in the kitchen, cut into strips and add to your compost pile, or use as a natural & effective fire starter.